Best Fly Fishing Reels for the Money Reviews
A fly fishing reel is the most important item of a standard fly fishing set-up, and it can be very expensive. It is important to know a few things before you buy a top fly fishing reel to make sure that you are buying a fly reel that fits the fishing rod, the fish you are targeting, and the method you want to use. A fly reel must match these features to be considered as the best fly reels for the money.
If your in a hurry to get fly fishing here’s our top picks reviewed in this article. Click on any image for more details.
|Best Fly Reels||Title||Color/Style||Warranty||Buy|
|Piscifun Platte||Gunmetal,Black,Ice Blue||Lifetime Warranty||Check price|
|Piscifun Sword||Black, Gunmetal, Pink, Space Gray||3 Year Warranty||Check price|
|Redington BEHEMOTH||Black, Gunmetal, Desert, Hunter Orange, OD Green||Lifetime Warranty||Check price|
|Piscifun Aoka||Blue||3 Year Warranty for a low cost reel||Check price|
|Fiblink||Orange or Silver||Low cost reel, no warranty stated||Check price|
|ORVIS CLEARWATER LARGE ARBOR||Matte Grey Powder Coat Finish||None stated on Amazon||Check price|
As a fishing fanatic, I always strive for better fishing accessories and I am sure finding the best fly reel is a difficult task. Since hundreds of new products are regularly launched on the market, it is almost impossible to compare each product. However, I had gathered information about some that I compared before making my decision and I will let you know about them in this article.
Before you get one for yourself, keep in mind that your fly fishing experience is not only how good you cast that line but also how effective your fishing gear is. Above all, that is what stands between you and the catch, so choose it with care. The following is a list of the best fly reels for the money on the market.
Piscifun Platte Fly Fishing Reel
- Fully sealed drag large arbor fly fishing reel keeps out dirt, water, sand
- Aluminum Alloy body CNC machined
- 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 (Gunmetal,Black,Ice Blue)
- Fast line pick up large arbor
- Anodized 6061 T6 aluminum
- Lightweight yet strong
- Easy drag to adjust while battling fish
- Lifetime Warranty
If you are looking for an anti-corrosion fly fishing reel, then Piscifun Platte is your answer. Whether you are fishing saltwater, freshwater, damp pond, or lake, this fly reel will not disappoint you. It is a fully airtight fly reel made from a premium aluminum alloy that makes it corrosion resistant.
The drag system is maintenance-free with smooth, consistent and infinitely adjustable free spooling and stopping power. It comes with a large arbor that picks up the lines faster, giving you an excellent advantage when fishing freshwater or saltwater fish. Made of very light but strong anodized T6 aluminum, it features a ventilated spool that helps reduces weight and keep its strength intact.
With these great features and better quality, this fly reel is sure to amaze you with what it has to offer. Another amazing feature is its smooth and handy conversion. You can easily convert the left-hand spool retrieve setting to right hand retrieve. This is an extra advantage for those who are left-handed. The following are the additional features that make Piscifun Platte one of the best among fly fishermen.
- Impressive and elegant design
- It is corrosion resistant and can be used in both saltwater and freshwater fishing.
- Resistant to even dirt and dust
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It is lightweight 10.6 ounces and extremely durable.
Piscifun Sword ‖ Light Weight Fly Fishing Reel
- CNC-machined Aluminum Alloy Body 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10
- Black, Gunmetal, Pink, Space Gray
- 3 Year warranty
- Factory set for left hand, changeable to right
- 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, lightweight and well built
- Hard anodized and cold forged for strength and corrosion resistance
- Newer model available in black and green only
Piscifun Sword is a fly fishing reel that offers you a quick right to left-right conversion. This reel weight is very low and adjustable to the rod you are using. It is designed in such a way that the anodized finish gives you a long-term performance for abrasion resistance.
The drag system is not as smooth as a drag on several premium reels, but this is expected from a reel that only costs a fraction of what high-end reels do. However, it uses a disc- drag system that should be strong enough to land a bass, river trout, bluegill, and similar species.
Piscifun Sword comes with machined construction and a sealed design like many high-end reels. And since the metal used in constructing this reel is anodized, you don’t need to fret about saltwater rusting your reel. This gives you peace of mind when fishing saltwater. The following are the additional features that make Piscifun Sword one of the best fly fishing reels.
- It is lightweight and solid
- The Mid-arbor design will help you to hold the rod easily
- Smooth and Silky drag
- It can be easily changed from left to right hand retrieve
- It is corrosion resistant
- Good machining process in this budget
Redington Behemoth Fly Reel
- Has a carbon fiber drag that is adjustable
- Easy conversion to left or right hand
- Large, easy to adjust drag knob
- Faster line retrieval with larger arbor design
- Mid range reel with premium reel features
- Select from 5 sizes
Redington is a reliable name when it comes to fly fishing reel, the company has been operating for some time and has a ready market for its superior quality products that outperform their counterparts.
This reel is an excellent choice as it’s lightweight and affordable, but it’s also made with premium components and craftsmanship. The tremendous power of innovation they put in to make sure their products stand out is what makes them so reliable, and when it comes to fly fishing reels, Redington has done it again with this great reel.
Unlike its competitors, this fly reel has a strong carbon fitted drag system. The drag system is fully adjustable with excellent aesthetics and unique design. It has a molded structure with a large mesh design. It comes with an outsized drag knob that provides a secure grasp and conversion from right to left hand retrieve. It also comes with a padded case for easy mobility. The following are the additional features that make this fly reel one of the best among fly fishermen.
- Deep V spool offers faster backing capacity
- It has a large arbor, a reduced line memory, retrieves faster, and is easy to convert from left-to-right hand retrieve.
- It is a high-performance reel with a unique design
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
Fiblink fly fishing reel
- Large Arbor CNC machined Aluminum Alloy
- Sizes 5/6, 7/8
- Saltwater safe, sealed drag
- Practical well priced reel
- Great looking reel, pleasing to the eye
- Less line stacking, higher line retrieval rates
- Picture guide for switching handle left to right
This is one of the best fly fishing reels you can choose when it comes to saltwater fishing. Its quality finish and user-friendly design with creative invention make it a perfect buy for those who want to improve their saltwater fly fishing success rate.
This is a special lightweight fly reel with a sealed drag system. One major benefit of this reel is that it creates a very strong delivery unit and helps users push their levels to the maximum. This is also an athletic variant that has the potential to excel in many folds.
This fly fishing reel is made of aluminum alloy incorporated with a CNC machine body. This high-quality aluminum help prevent the fishing reel from corrosion. Its drag system is made of fiber which is flexible to its limit. Fiblink fly fishing reel has higher line retrieval rates and reduced line stacking. The following are the additional great features that make this fly reel one of the best fly fishing reel brands.
- The Fiblink reel has a flexible drag system made with fiber
- It comes with an integrated CNC machine body
- It is corrosion resistant due to the aluminum alloy
- It is easy to carry
- It has high retrieval rates and is easy to carry
- Less line stacking
- It has good strength to the weight ratio
- 2 + 1 ball bearing
- Easily adjustable for right or left-hand retrieval
Piscifun Aoka Aluminum Fly Reel
- Aluminum Fly Fishing Reel with Cork/Teflon Disc Drag System
- Left hand adjustable to right
- 3 year warranty
- Immediate smooth acting drag system
- Quick spool release, silent retrieve
- Oversize handle, sharp looking appearance
If you are a fan of fly fishing and prefer to operate on a budget, then Piscifun Aoka is the right choices for you. This is a stylish, strong, and inexpensive reel that can be easily found on any list of the best fly reels.
Piscifun Aoka is lightweight and good to fish with. Another important feature that makes it stand out is the fact that it comes with a spare spool including a drawstring protective bag that gives you more line options and ensures good storage space.
This fly reel comes with a smooth Teflon disc drag. It produces a specific effect on the entire fly fishing experience and makes it more comfortable and very smooth. This stylish reel is available in a variety of color combinations and is especially known for creating faster line pick-up. The following are the additional great features that make Piscifun Aoka reel one of the best among fly fishermen.
- It is durable, reliable and offers a superior fly fishing experience
- It looks sleek and sharp and ensures superior performance
- It is lightweight, affordable and a perfect value buys for customers
- It smooth setting improves the success and strike rate in fly fishing
- The spools interchange faster and quickly
Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor
- Beautiful matte grey powder coat finish
- High performance to value reel
- Disc drag system that is Rulon-to-stainless stacked
- Easy left to right hand conversion
- Drag knob positive click for reliable settings
This reel is perhaps the most excellent choice available in the market today when looking for the best fly fishing reel for the money. It is available in two sizes that can take various line weights; size IV is for 7-9 line weight while size II is for 4-6 line weight.
Made of high-quality 6061 aluminum in a die-cast construction that gives it the required strength and reduces its weight, making it easier to balance and provides perfect grasp. Its large arbor aids in fast retrieving and is extremely convenient when big fish fight back for their life.
It is also corrosion-resistant and maintenance-free performance. It has a simply adjustable drag system with a fast right to left-handed conversion and smooth retrieve. The following are the additional features that make this fly reel one of the best among fly fishermen.
- Strong in-line with stainless steel stacked disc drag
- The drag handle has a positive click for quick set-up
- It is lightweight but takes a maximum load
- It is durable, value for money, and robust design.
Things to consider when choosing the best fly fishing reel
You will often hear that a fly reel is not a very important aspect of fly fishing gear. I disagree because I feel that a high-quality fly reel is important when you hook that trophy fish and all that stands between you and that massive creature is your reel. This is when you know the difference between a poor fly reel and the best fly fishing reel. So let’s take a look at what makes the best fly fishing reel.
The drag system should be perfect for a fly reel. It determines the type of fly reel you are going to choose and the kind of fish you are going to catch. Suppose, you are targeting a saltwater bonefish, a low-cost fly reel with poor drag will not work well, although it may work well in typical trout fishing. So, choose a fly fishing reel with excellent drag system that suits your requirements. And poorly designed drag mechanisms may lock tight, and allow the fish to break your fishing line.
Fly reel size:
Does size really matter? Sure, choosing the right size of a fly reel is very important, for both perfect balancing and for taking the weight. It is important that the size is easy to handle as you may have to wait hours before hooking up a fish and keeping the line stable. Also, the size should be comfortable to hold, a large fly reel will not be handy, although it can take the weight and that additional line, and you won’t be able to hold it for long.
Quality is the most important thing when it comes to fly fishing reels. I once used a poor quality fly reel, believe me, the experience was terrible. Since then, I don’t joke with quality when it comes to buying a fly fishing reel. Always buy a high-quality fly fishing reel; it’s not true that good quality is very expensive; you can also buy good quality fly fishing reels at affordable prices. You only need to do some research.
It is important to remember that you choose a fly reel according to the weight it can support. Keep in mind that the fly reel must support the weight of the rod, line as well as the catch. Therefore, you should buy a fly reel with a good weight. Also, be aware that the reel can hold a large line so you don’t get stuck when the fish fight back or run when it’s hooked.
While fishing, there is a possibility of your gear getting a splash, so it would be better to make sure that all your fishing gears are rustproof, including your fly reel. Therefore when choosing a fly fishing reel, check out the fly reel components you want to buy and make sure it is water-resistant and rust-proof.
Best Fly Reels For The Money Conclusion:
As you read here today, there are a few major things to consider when choosing which fly reel would be the best value for your hard earned money. Hopefully you found this article of use and consider sharing it with your friends and on social media platforms for me. Thanks for letting me help you today and good luck fishing.