8 Catfish Bait Recipes You Can Make at Home
Maybe you are frustrated because they refuse to take your best catfish baits, and questioning why others find it so easy to attract those wriggling catfish creatures. The answer is in the bait, the following are some interesting top catfishing bait recipes that will improve your catch.
I have shored or boated many fish while others consistently get skunked. Why? Because I am not afraid to try as many baits as it takes to land fish.
I haven’t had time to put together all my recipes but many of them have been duplicated or very similar in these guides. I featured two best homemade catfish bait recipes guides below as well as 5 to get your started in the kitchen until your guides arrive from online shopping. Don’t forget to visit my page on catfish dough balls as well for ingredients, and secret tips.
My 2 Featured Guide Recommendations
One includes step by step instructions for easy use. Click on any image for more details.
When Store Bought Baits don’t work
Maybe the best store bought baits are not working, perhaps the fish want something different to trigger them. If you have a dozen or more up to 50 kinds of bait made up, you could fill your stringer while everyone else wonders what your secret is. Fish can be triggered by different baits on different days so you need them all. I have shored or boated many fish while others consistently get skunked. Why? Because I am not afraid to try as many baits as it takes to land fish.
Be the guy or gal who catches more fish and everyone wants to know their secrets. Tell them to visit catfishing.ca if they have any questions while your busy catching, unhooking and stringing fish.
Best Homemade Catfish Bait Recipes To Get You Started
- Catfish Dough Bait Recipe
- 1 cup of flour
- 5 cup of cornmeal
- 16 to 20 ounces of Big Red
- Use the amount of anise you need
- Anise oil
- Put flour, cornmeal, and anise oil to the pot
- Add about 3/4 of a big red bottle.
Boil this over medium heat, stir it constantly, until the liquid is absorbed and the dough becomes sticky and stiff. Flour a counter surface and pour the sticky dough on top of it. Then knead the dough, the same way you would do with a loaf of bread includes more flour for at least ten to fifteen minutes. This will allows the gluten to form in the dough and stop the bait from coming off the hook. Use a triple hook.
- Leather Chicken Liver Recipe
- Get 2 pounds of chicken liver with 32 ounces of Can garlic salt.
- Place the liver in sheets on baking tray or cardboard covered with foil
- Sprinkle a large amount of garlic salt over the chicken liver
- Add another layer of chicken liver and salt (continue until the liver is used).
- Let it sit a few hours outside (should not be in the sun).
A few hours later, take the liver, put it in a bucket and start stirring, every 3-4 stir add more garlic. Continue until you have a quarter cup of garlic left. Put it in the garage for 9-10 days, make sure it’s covered. When you’re ready to use it, pour in the rest of the garlic salt, stir and go fishing. Salt will make the chicken liver harder. As an alternative of garlic, you can try Vanilla, Anise, or whatever you like. Just be sure to add enough salt as this will makes it tough.
- Catfish Blood Bait Recipe
You can contact a slaughterhouse for blood. You will need enough chicken or beef blood (no difference) to fill a big baking pan.
- Fill the pan with beef or chicken blood
- Put it in the refrigerator for about a week (it will get a bit hard like a rubber mat).
- Put the pan in the sun as long as it takes to get a hardcover
- Cut it into 2” squares lay in plastic containers and put it back in freezer.
- Cajun Mud Bait
- Mix 24 dead minnows in a blender, after they have been allowed to sit outside for 24 hours.
- Add 1/4 cup of juice the minnows were in
- Add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- Add a box of cherry jello
- Add 1/4 cup of molasses
- Add 3 tablespoons of onion salt and garlic salt
- Add a cup of breadcrumbs
- Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
Add flour to make it thick, and then work into the dough and put it in baggies in 1-inch ball used on a treble hook. Get yourself a portable blender thats rechargeable like the one shown here to take on your camping/fishing trips. Make homemade baits and drinks both with it.
- Meat and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked minced meat (turkey, beef, deer, and the rest.)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic
- 1 cup American cheese slices or Velveeta cheese
Melt the cheese until it is soft. Mix the garlic and meat and blend until the cheese is equally distributed. Gradually add the flour to the mixture until it the dough form into balls. Keep it well in a plastic bag in the freezer.
- Catfish Stink Recipe
Although this is not the most smelling homemade recipe for catfish bait, it is most effective.
- 2 packs of sardines in mustard
- 2 cans of tuna in oil
- ½ pound of chicken liver
- 2 boxes of Stuffing Mix
- 1 bag of Stuffing Bread
Mix sardines, tuna and chicken livers in a seal-able container. Seal it and keep outside for a week. Don’t forget to put it in a safe and secure place location. After a week, outside, mix in the stuffing bread and stuffing mix until thick dough is formed. Make sure you use a container you won’t need in the future or stick to stir the mixture.
Alternatively, you can buy mincemeat or spam. Freeze it, and add a little honey to the minced meat. Blend well then add the flour so that the mixture can be rolled into balls. Take some cotton balls and separate them. Mix the ball cotton fibers with mincemeat flour. Put it in the refrigerator for ten hours or more. Roll the mixture into balls and stick your hooks into it.
- Jack’s Cat Attack
- Mix 1 pound of sun-aged chicken liver and a pack of hot dogs in a blender and mix.
- In a gallon bowl, place half a loaf of bread cut into small pieces
- Pour the hot dog and liver mix over the bread
- Add two cans of nacho cheese
- Add a can of corn
- Add a quarter bottle of Tabasco
- Add dozens of worms cut up
Pour out this mix and knead well until it gets thick and dough-like consistency. Store in the sun in a big plastic container and handle it carefully.
- Uncle Dewey’s Recipe
- Put about 2 pounds of shad and one tube of chicken liver with 2 cups of bacon grease or vegetable oil in a slackly covered bucket and leave it in the sun until the shad turns liquid.
- Add about six cups of regular oatmeal
- Add two cups of yellow cornmeal
- Add a cup of brown sugar
- 4 ounces of Limburger cheese
Stir it very well and return the bucket to a sunny spot for another week for further fermentation. Thicken with flour for bait, or thin with water for chum.
Finally, as you can see, preparing a homemade catfish bait recipe for your fishing trip can be a lot of fun. All you have to do is to experiment with smelly things to get the most stinking mixture you can put together. Catfish like stinky things because their whiskers are the particular sense organs that help them detect food odors drifting in the waters.
Or if you prefer some quick easy baits to buy, here are some of the best to grab and go for days you don’t have time to make your own and these end up being the top bite of the day.